Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Resiliency during "tough times"

No matter where you are in life, or what stage of personal development in any area you are,no doubt you have weathered "the storm" on a number occasions.

By that I mean,lived through and overcome difficulties,hardships and periods where you thought that life is just tough...well it is a part of life...we have the good and the bad...in fact as I have come to learn they are one and the same thing...

You see let me give you an example...I am a summer person.I love summer and all it brings,the long nights,days at the beach,driving in my car with the top off,feeling the sun on my face...I mean what's not to love?As a result I would dread winter.What was good about it?The cold,the rain,being indoors etc.But just the other day I had an epiphany,an ah-ha moment...summer and winter like hot and cold good and bad are the same!What?!How can they possibly be the same?Well,by that I mean they coexist and cannot be seperate...there cannot be one with-out the other...they are in fact both sides of the same coin...to understand this at a fundamental level means it's only your interpretation or reaction to it that colours it...and we have control over that!
So,getting back to tough times,resiliency,the title of this blog,I used the above to illustrate that what we perceive as good or bad is what we decide it to be.Sure there are difficulties in life,but within them also lies the opportunties for growth and evolution to better understand who we are and what gives us joy.
So,we develop reilience to those times we are stretched,tested...we gain the ability to cope,to move through the tough time and in the process develop coping skills we would'nt have gained otherwise.
Believe that we all have the inner capability to be resilient...to bounce back.If you are flexible,open to possibility and resourceful you can tap into your survivor personality.
And remember,just like the rain or sun it comes and goes.There is impermanence,the universe is in constant flux and as a result this too shall pass...

No comments: